PDF SPRING 2017: May 25 - 29
Are you someone who would like to join the Playa del Fuego Board of Directors? Do you know someone who would make a great addition to the Playa Del Fuego Board of Directors? Then we want YOU!
The PDF Board Nominations are now open and will close on Tuesday, June 30th. This will be followed by a public comment period in which community members may submit testimonials about those who have been nominations for consideration. We will be speaking with individual nominees to discuss the role of the position so that expectations are fully understood. The final selection of new directors is made by the existing board, strongly taking into account community feedback and the results of the interview.
We encourage you to reach out to current Board Members at the BOD and Coordinator Meet and Greet, Sunday at Camp Eat and Beat (near the barn) from 2 - 3:30pm on Sunday. Board members will be around to answer any and all questions you may have. In addition, if you are unable to make this event or are still asleep from Saturday nights shenanigans, look for the Spring 2015 Mayor Dove aka Starfish; she will be wandering around making herself available at all times to speak with you about joining the BOD. She can be found at Camp Sexy, walking around at night patrolling Sound, or performing as a member of the Camp Sexy Synchronized Swim Team on the Slip n Slide at 2:15 on Saturday. Just look for the giant top hat all weekend long!
The responsibility of the Playa Del Fuego Board of Directors is to handle the larger issues related to non-profit management for Playa Del Fuego, Inc. This includes:
- handling the paperwork and tax filing needed to remain in good standing as a 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation
- managing the organization's finances
- supporting organizational long term goals and strategic plans, including Land Purchase, restructuring of the organization, and increasing community art grants
- managing art and community grants
You can read the minutes from past BOD retreats at http://playadelfuego.org/node/53
Expectations of BOD members include:
- Sign a contract agreeing to the duties and expectations
- Read the BOD minutes, bylaws, and documents prior to joining
- Attend all meetings (1x month, 1-1.5 hours)
- Attend the yearly retreat
- Respond to emails in a timely manner
- Be willing to use technological resources to communicate, manage tasks, and stay current on the goings in between meetings
- Work on additional projects outside of meetings
- Serve on sub-committees
- Work closely with the PC and Coordinators
- Be active in strategic planning and long term goals
- Work on succession planning policies for both the BOD and coordinators
While ANYONE AND EVERYONE should feel welcome to nominate ANYONE AND EVERYONE including themselves, it would be useful to the organization if we had a number of “specialists” who were willing to serve on the BOD. These include but are not limited to:
- Individuals with backgrounds in other nonprofit work,
- Individuals who have experience with strategic planning
- Individuals who have experience with monitoring and evaluation
- Individuals with experience in grant writing
- Individuals with a legal background
Again, we welcome anyone and everyone to join; however, we feel that often there is a lack of understanding as to what the BOD does and what skills we may need. We are hoping listing these things will help to reach individuals who may not have realized they could be an asset to the organization.
PDF board members are volunteers. Despite this, BOD members are expected to be actively involved year round, starting immediately after joining. BOD members leave the board when they choose, or can no longer fulfill their responsibilities. New members are considered each year after the Spring Burn. Members may choose to take a leave of absence status if they need to take a break from their board responsibilities, but plan to return to active status in the future. Members may also choose to step down and join the newly formed Advisory Board if they wish to continue to provide input to the BOD but no longer wish to take an active role.
You may submit your nomination via e-mail to BOD Secretary Dove “Starfish” Russo (email@example.com) with your nomination any time during the nomination period. Please include the name of the person you are nominating (both playa name and real name if possible), their e-mail address, your name, and a few sentences about why you think this person should be considered.