P . O . N . Y .

Planning and Organization Needs You!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: rv proposal
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:50 pm 

a 10 RV limit.. to qualify for one of the 10 spots your RV must either.. A: fit the definitions of an art car.. or at least a canvass. or B: must have the bio diesel retrofit. or a hybrid system .. we are supposed to leave no trace after all

Post subject: Re: rv proposal
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:57 pm 

Leon,

Just a few questions for clarification (because this proposal intrigues me and since I'm the one that approves the open camping parking passes)
Clarify RV: We give passes to anything with a bed in it, up to a limit. So, there are pick up trucks, mini vans and conversion vans (usually encouraged to park in the back field), as well as pop ups, 5th wheels and RVs (only allowed along the fence...in theory)

Thanks for your idea! Your thoughts and input are appreciated

Post subject: Re: rv proposal
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:07 pm 

I would like to add some perspective from an RV owner. The current description of what is and what is not an RV is acceptable and has been working for years. To now make a list of what type of RV is welcome and what type RV is not welcome goes against the principles of acceptance at PDF. Just because I may have a large motorhome RV are you saying I cannot attend? That does not sound fair to me. Would this also mean that a theme camp would not be permitted to bring a large motorhome, 5th wheel, trailer? Parking the RVs along the fence one right after the other as they arrive looks good on paper but it is not always practical. There are several large RV's that arrive early(DPW and volunteers) and these RV's are heavy(20,000lbs to 34,000lb range). Having them pull all the way to the end of the fence toward rt9 would place them on very unstable ground if there has been any rain and/or the potential for rain. Having one of those large RV's towed out of the mud would be a nightmare. The ground along the fence from the helicopter to the participation station is high ground suitable for large heavy RV's. Now for those that say to ban large RV's. Are we also going to limit the size of your tent or your shade structure? Maybe by making the space between the line of RV's and where the tents start would allow late arriving RV's that are smaller to pass and park easier. Having a wider opening/street in front of the RV's would also make a safer passage in the event of either medical or fire emergencies.
Generators: The wider space between the RVs and the tents would help dilute the fumes. Not only do the large RVs at times run their generator but quite a few of the small trailers and pop-ups run generators. Also, some of those in tents will place a generator next to the fence and run an extension cord over to their tent. I have also seen tents run an extension cord from one of the RV'rs generator.
In my opinion having a wider road between the line of RVs and the tents AND not permitting tents along the fence would come a long way to make PDF more comfortable for everyone.
just my opinion
Chip