P . O . N . Y .

Planning and Organization Needs You!
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 100ish acres in WVA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:38 pm 

All I know is what's in the listing. (If I remember my WVA right, it's right across the VA/WVa line near 66 and 70, give or take 50 miles..)

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ ... 00611.html

Post subject: Re: 100ish acres in WVA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:11 pm 

Oooooooooooh. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:21 am 

Given that waiting for an "official" inquiry could result in waiting indefinitely, I dropped the guy an email, asking for more details (stuff like "is there frontage on a paved road?" and "are there neighbors?"). Will follow up if I get a response.

Post subject: good
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:11 am 

good

Burner-At-Large
and
blah,blah,blah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:44 pm 

The response I got...
Quote:
The property is not along a rural road, there is a dirt road to the property. The road is approximately 1 to 2 miles long. The property has natural springs on it, but no well or septic. The cabin on the property has a kitchen and bathroom but has no running water. The property has a clearing in front of the cabin of 15 acres. We use the property for our hunting club. The land is somewhat remote, you might be able to see a cabin or two in the winter months. The land is mostly covered in woods. When you sit on the porch of the cabin you can look out over a valley, which might be 10 miles away and see houses. The property is about 42 miles from Winchester Va. Rt 50 & Rt 37 intersection. The property is just before Romney WV. If you have anymore questions for me, please e-mail again. Thanks for you interest in this property.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:56 am 

Virginia is kinda far. And way more in the south. They have shot guns down there!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:39 pm 

They not only have shot guns but also deer rifles with scopes, I would feel right at home (I'm from Ga.).

Sounds great, it would be getting back to the true burn aspect, pack out everything you pack in. Supply all your H2O, have your own privy, etc. etc. How much?

MASH Camp Coordinator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:24 pm 

Approximately: 4 1/2 hours from philly, 2 1/2 hours from dc, 2 hours 45 minutes from baltimore.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:57 pm 

rumrunner96 wrote:
They not only have shot guns but also deer rifles with scopes, I would feel right at home (I'm from Ga.).

Yeah, me too... I'm (most recently) from Virginia. :)

Quote:
Sounds great, it would be getting back to the true burn aspect, pack out everything you pack in. Supply all your H2O, have your own privy, etc. etc. How much?

$350k. No idea if that's a reasonable price for the area, but for ~140 acres (at least some of which is remote enough to safely use said deer rifles), $2.5k/acre is not wildly outside the realm of the plausible.

The biggest questions (for the property) are "neighbors" (are there any close enough to complain about noise?), "access" (neighbor may not care if a dozen guys drive SUVs up his driveway past his house to get to the property, but might care a great deal if 2000 people are trying to drive RVs, art cars, UHauls, etc though), and "usable space" (140 acres is a bunch, but if 100 of those acres are tilted 30 degress downhill, a lot of that space isn't real useful).

At this point, I can ask a few more questions if it helps, but if PDF.org is interested in following up on this, I probably should hand off to someone who can speak for the organization.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:57 pm 

The price seems in line with the others I hastily threw together into a quickie spreadsheet for fun, but the location is staggeringly bad for Massholes, Oakburners, and generally those any further than NYC. My trip would go from 3.5 hours to 6 hours, which is a pretty insane jump for me. Folks in the Boston area would have to go over 9 hours compared to the ~6.5 hours it currently takes.

That is not a reason to not look further into it, and I encourage doing so. But it's one of the few things that'd actually bring me to calling into the conferences. As it is, Playa del Fuego is the only official burn within five hours by car from me, and while I recognize that many others make far longer trips for their campouts, I'd hate to have to travel a quarter day or more for every burn I go to. :/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:20 pm 

jcholewa wrote:
But it's one of the few things that'd actually bring me to calling into the conferences.

I do encourage calling into PC calls, but this wouldn't be going through the PC, it'd be going through the BOD. (Which is one of the reasons I'm kinda hoping someone who actually knows what the status of the property search can either take it or leave it...)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:09 pm 

Hm. Maybe I'll break Immediacy just a tad and chat a couple people up about it next week. A couple of the properties I found on a random search have some promise with respect to the criteria given.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:18 pm 

The craigslist posting expired. Do you have the lat/long? We'll need to put Dave Diller's "sonic bullseye" on the property to see the potential for noise complaints. And it is quite far.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:12 pm 

AndyWing wrote:
The craigslist posting expired. Do you have the lat/long? We'll need to put Dave Diller's "sonic bullseye" on the property to see the potential for noise complaints. And it is quite far.

You got what I got (only thing I have that isn't posted is the seller's email address).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:02 pm 

Rev Dave, here's some of the other stuff you could do since you're researching this space... passing it on to someone "official" is not necessary. Research can come from anyone.

From what I can tell, the key factors seem to be:

Location / Neighbors
Zoning Restrictions
Terrain - rolling hills will help with sound control
Trees - both as sound control and privacy concerns
Ability to have central in/out point to prevent gate crashers
Access to Civilization (supplies in a nearby town)
Access to electricity / water
Internal roads for access during wet burns

This is from the earlier PONY post on Land Search Criteria, a list of how people can help by finding out info. Realistically, nobody wants to go into detail for every piece of land submitted. I just happened to catch your post. There have been some other land options brought to our attention recently with much more detail available that we're looking into. I suggest you find out what you can about the space, maps included, and if in your gut you think it's a real legitimate option, then email the BOD. Or email me and I'll get it to them. But it's not fair to expect the BOD to look over each and every possible option because someone did a quick online land search and something popped up that looked interesting.

And I'm looking into whether they're is a comprehensive list somewhere. The PONY scares me with the amount of rambling on here and it's not a lot of fun to dig through it all.

-Patty

--------
* look at the plat to figure out the actual borders. Sometimes this means contacting the listing realtor through a website link with a very brief "Please send me a copy of the plat and some way to locate the boundaries of the property on Google Earth". Please don't get into details about who or what this is for at this stage. This is considered a perfectly normal request.
* translate that to and look at it extensively in google earth (including the "Show terrain" preference if it isn't already enabled for you - something that looks great "from above" can clearly be useless when viewed in 3-D from a side angle - I also find maximizing the "Elevation Exaggeration" preference useful to get a better sense sometimes - found a cheap one that was basically a hillside - the only flat land on it was the road cutting through it and the railroad 40 feet below that!)
* on the property: look at details of property layout: road placement, pastures/fields, buildings, water, screening, exposed frontage onto public roads, location on top of a mountain next to an interstate but without road access (been there, seen that, understood why it was so cheap)
* near the property: look for location and placement of individual neighbors, developments, churches, commercial, etc. Everything within a mile radius or so. Zoom in and fine-tooth-comb it.
* create the "bullseye" showing all of this info in an easy-to-absorb manner. I can do a writeup on my process for this for anyone who is serious.
* write up your observations in detail so others can complement or comment
* look at zillow to get data on how long it's been on the market and what the pricing has been historically
* zoning regulations for both the county and township the property is located in (this takes a lot of parsing, and Legal can be of help)
* look over the Township website if they have one to get a feel for who we'd need to be working with - these are like Councilmen here in MD.
* look at city-data for stats on the nearby towns and general area
* if it's advertised as near state forest or gamelands, figure out which ones and pull maps to determine exactly where those boundaries are in relation to the property. Hunters in the woods is a new set of concerns, but much of the year a non-issue, and a great thing to have as a neighbor...