Art Cart vs. Art Car?

Share PDF camping advice and share resources here.

Moderator: Radar

Art Cart vs. Art Car?

Postby Wolverine » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:53 am

For future PDFs, a few of us at Camp Justice League were considering building a small self-powered bat-mobile to add to our shenanigans, and to maybe help move our stuff around. I've seen the rules about "Art Cars" in the GUD, but there are some "vehicles" at the Playa that appear to be allowed to drive around, like golf carts, go karts, motorized bicycle-based trikes, etc.

Are there any clear guidelines on what is allowed to drive on site? Like weight, power, size, tire type, power source, etc? I have a free ATV chassis I could use, but go-karts and bicycle-type designs would also be attainable. I think it would be good to have some clearer standing regulations on this, cause vehicles are awesome, but take a considerable investment.
Wolverine

Re: Art Cart vs. Art Car?

Postby Joanna » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:34 am

Currently, art CARS must be stationary and have on-site parking passes. There are no particular regulations on golf carts, bikes, etc. aside from that they can't drive too fast. A few burns ago we had someone step up to start managing mutant vehicles, but he immediately had to step down from planning stuff because his life got too busy, and since then, no one has expressed further interest/inclination.

At some point, as we get more and more golf cart type vehicles on site, there probably needs to be a registration system, a cap on how many we can have on site, and other guidelines.

If someone is interested in stepping up to be a Mutant Vehicle coordinator and begin developing guidelines and process, that would be fabulous.
Board Member Emeritus
Joanna

Postby Wolverine » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:57 pm

That's good to hear that they are allowed. Are there any hot issues I should look out for in my cart? Has one ever been banned from the Playa before?

I may be open to the idea of organizing the Mutant Vehicles. It would be cool to get first look at everyone's creations :D Let me know if you want to hash out what the responsibilities of the position would be.
Wolverine

Postby HunnyBear » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:20 pm

Wolverine, I was thinking as well this could be something I stepped up more to help with... especially as I'd like something that is more work before the event than during it (hopefully). I'm not particularly mechanically knowledgeable, however.
HunnyBear

Postby Joanna » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:42 am

The position doesn't exist, and we're only starting to approach the point where we're having more carts on site, so the parameters of an organizational position are kind of open ended.

I'd bring it up at a planning meeting and see what people think should be covered by the position.

The only rule that is non-negotiable is that art CARS can't be mobile on our site. We just don't have the land for that...they have to abide by the same rules as other on-site parking people, which is pre-register for a pass, drive in, park, and don't move until you intend to actually leave for good.
Board Member Emeritus
Joanna

Art Cart vs Art Car

Postby Betjob92 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:02 am

I have an electric golf cart in good shape. Has new batteries and runs good. It would be good for the track or to just let the kids run around on. Asking 1200 or would consider trades.
call any time Jeremy 573-724-6179
Betjob92

Return to Camp Planning