P . O . N . Y .

Planning and Organization Needs You!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:23 pm 

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2016/10/10/delawares-little-known-takeoff-burning-man/91744302/

This USA Today affliated article, which is actually fairly respectful of Playa del Fuego, the concept of a burn, and Fuggles, was brought up in the Facebook group. I wanted to bring particular attention to the photography policy. The Board is in its rights to grant permission for a photographer from a media source to take pictures and post them online, but it was a little bit jarring to learn that their website automatically adds a "Buy Photo" button to their images.

It's one thing for pictures of participants to be placed online in conjunction with a[n actually well-researched] news article, but it feels like it may be really off-putting for a participant to learn that a random website is directly selling photos of them.

Eh, maybe I'll call into the next PC shindig, but in case I don't I wanted to just point out that the G.U.D. is unclear on the subject of selling pictures, even if the photographer got consent to include them in a media story (which according to the thread was not always the case).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:40 pm 

We can certainly talk about this issue at the next PC meeting that takes new business/discussions, however you may get more traction by emailing the BOD directly as they are the ones who handle most issues like this and legal policy. (bod@playadelfuego.org)

Thanks for bringing it to attention; I read that article but didn't even notice the "buy" button you mention (and I wouldn't be surprised if others missed it too!).