P . O . N . Y .

Planning and Organization Needs You!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Parking, DPW Issues
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:32 pm 

I wanted to point out a few issues from this last burn that may be easily remedied.

- As far as parking goes, I know it was hell. I know people were blocking the main road inside the venue while unloading to get their stuff near the backfield. But it seems like everyone was being punished because a few people were being stupid and blocking the road. I can't imagine what it was like for people to having to haul their stuff from the back parking lot back to the backfield- some making as many as 7 trips! Next time, we can add more posts, allowing a space about 6 feet off the road so people can park and unload, just like we do in the front field? (I didn't think of this till after the event-doh!) I also want to see how folks would feel about getting a designated tower. We rent a big ass truck, buy tow straps, ask a volunteer to drive said big ass truck, and tow people who block roads or lanes. They can also be put to work towing people out of the lots on the last day of the event. It seems like we've had enough mud burns to justify the cost.

- I noticed the showers looked nasty and there was plenty of bird dirt in the pavilion, too. Can we buy a power washer and leave it in the shed? Or can power washers not be stored in the cold?

Post subject: Re: Parking, DPW Issues
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:54 am 

As to the showers-------2 of the 4 showers for the men did not work. 1 had a broken handle, one did not have flow.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:15 am 

Jill, I never received one complaint about the road being blocked and how was anyone being punished? Can you be more specific? I actually thought this was the best parking has been, in my 3 coordinator burns, and the one with the LEAST issues.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:40 pm 

Shells-
I was hearing complaints from people as I was driving them on the golf cart. They were saying they weren't allowed to drop off their stuff...that they had to drive straight out to the back parking lot and haul all their stuff in. Brandon first pointed it out to me, when a couple with a baby were told they had to park and then carry everything in. Other parkers may have heard more.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:26 pm 

They heard correctly. At various times we were not letting people drive in based on conditions. The carry in/out decision and announcement was made before 10 am Thursday morning, so there really was no excuse for people to be surprised by that.

Theme camps and art grant recipients were allowed to drop off their large gear, but were encouraged to stay on the road.

Still not seeing the issue here?