P . O . N . Y .

Planning and Organization Needs You!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: WWW rewrite thread
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:53 am 

This is the rewrite thread that started at https://www.facebook.com/groups/playade ... 0987586887 about the neededed changes in the wording of the WWW on consent

quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Post subject: Re: WWW rewrite thread
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:57 am 

To clarify for those who:
A) Don't have Facebook
B) Don't want to dig through 150+ comments for the meat
C) Are just lazy

There is a portion of the Consent piece of the WWW that is well-intentioned but written in such a way that it can be mis-interpreted and used to further rape-culture and vicitim blaming. This thread should be to focus on the rewrite or change is semantics of that section in order to ensure that we don't perpetuate rape culture and victim blaming. However we also need to ensure that people recognize that they can say "No" and that if there is a situation that makes them uncomfortable they are able to say "No".

See:
Quote:
Take responsibility for your own boundaries
• You must be able to say NO.
• Be sober enough to be in control or make plans with a friend to have a “designated driver.”
• How you feel is not magically telegraphed to others. YOU are in charge of your boundaries.
• You are responsible for yourself but you an always ask for help. Talk to those around you (or a Ranger) if someone is making you uncomfortable.

Just wanted to ensure that the tl;dr of that thread was up here, and as I said on the Facebook thread, if someone is willing to help suggest language, I'm happy to pick up some stickers to size up and print with the new language - AND GET CONSENT to put them in people's WWW's or to make them aware of the proposed new language.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:51 pm 

FYI, this will get dealt with and updated. Unfortunately, not in time for next week's event. But I will make sure that we (the PC) figure out a way to update the language that then gets carried forward in the GUD and the WWW. (FWIW, I have been wanting to do a mass edit of the GUD to make it easier to read and digest.)

IMO, going forward, I'd like to reach out to the Bureau of Erotic Discourse, as well as 11th Principle: Consent and Blue (who's worked extensively on the subject). If there are other resources out there that deal with the subject of consent in a broader form, please feel free to send them my way.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:34 pm 

I replied on the FB thread and it was suggested I come over here, as I had a few recommendations on how this could be rewritten? This doesn't just apply to "consent", which I am sure will be addressed better by the B.E.D., but touches on things like knowing one's physical, mental and emotional limits, checking in with comfort level, being able to say something to re establish personal boundaries and engage personal repsonsibility.

Some thoughts I had:

Check in with yourself, and be aware of your comfort level. You have the right to say No.

Be aware of your environment and what is going on around you, make sure you are comfortable with where your personal boundaries are. If you are not comfortable, say something. You have every right to have your personal boundaries respected, but how you are feeling is not magically telegraphed to others.

Be aware of your emotional, physical and mental limits (this can apply to anything from comfort level to alcohol to heat tolerance) and adjust accordingly so you can stay in a safe space and have a good time."

Know your personal boundaries! You have every right to say NO, loudly and often, and every right to seek a safe spare or person if you are uncomfortable!

You have the right to establish your personal boundaries and should communicate your comfort level to those around you. People might not know what you are feeling. Speak out!

These are just some thoughts, some of them say the same thing but in different ways, feel free to do whatever with them. It may need some wordsmithing, for sure, but I think that this kind of language can prevent triggering. Let me know what you think! Incidentally, this will be my first burn, and I am very much looking forward to it. xo

-Clovis

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:41 am 

A few thoughts ...

1. We need people to take ownership of this. This should include forming a small committee to reach out to community members for feedback and then compile these suggestions and use them for a rewrite. It would be great, but not necessary, if a BOD member could be involevd in the rewrite, as the GUD is considered "official" PDF communication. I think having a representative from the get go means less/no "push back" later (though I am not anticipating that...just a precaution). In addition, we clearly have some extremely passionate views about this. However, I think in setting up a committee, we need to have balance. See #2

2. I have spoken to one of the people involved in writing this section, and the purpose was to encourage radical self-reliance. While I agree it needs to be modified, there does still need to have some elements of this remain.

3. I also think when speaking of "consent" we should include broader issues as well; perhaps not in the same section, include other issues of consent - hugging, spanking, walking into peoples camp kitchens and taking things, spraying people with water guns etc. No, none of these are nearly as serious as the current discussion. However, consent does mean much more than sexual assualt.

PortalBurn BOD
Burning Man Regional Contact - Upstate NY 1/3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:06 am 

Wanting to change some of my above language from "should" to "may want to consider."

Other thoughts...I mentioned on the FB thread the idea of "see something say something," and that isn't entirely what I meant. To clarify, Peace Corps as well as many colleges have started to shift the focus of sexual assault away from the binary "victim/perpetrator" to add a third category: bystander. We talk a lot about those involved in these discussions aren't the ones who need to be reached. I disagree. Bystander training has become an important part of the conversation. Knowing when and how to intervene in a potentially dangerous situation. I still believe any conversation needs to include a "victim centered" approach with additional information regarding self reliance and a reminder that "there are no safe spaces," meaning even at a burn the potential for sexual assault is very real. I would like to add to the discussion a piece on bystander training, perhaps even holding one at PDF should someone choose to take it on.

Just keeping this conversation going and trying to brainstorm a more comprehensive approach to the issue...

PortalBurn BOD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:49 pm 

If anyone is interested in helping to revise the "consent" section of the GUD - like, actually wants to devote time, energy, and productive dialogue to making these changes - PLEASE contact me via email (dovelette@gmail.com) or posting here by....um...I dunno, July 23rd? Yah, it's out there, but I have two burns in the meantime (one I'm helping to run, one I'm travelling a long way for, so I know I'll be able to devote about zero time to this, sorry). That's it, outie 5000, and yes we can discuss here if we must but it'll likely be a rehash and it'll be more productive to do on the PONY, on a smaller committee, and then brought to the PC at a future meeting.

PortalBurn BOD