P . O . N . Y .

Planning and Organization Needs You!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:52 am
Posts: 155
Spring PDF 2009 Planning Meeting
January 19, 2009
3 p.m.
AGENDA
LOCATION: Home of Jamie Love
8614 Manchester Road Apt. #6
Silver Spring MD 20901
1.Approve minutes of last meeting.
2.VOTE:
a) Move the optional emergency meeting to two weeks before the burn

b) Automatically approve budget increases within 10% due to changing
costs or last minute needs.

c) Raise gate ticket price (but not all tickets) to $40
d) Increase number of hardship tickets available to 5% of the cap (would
be 50 hardship tickets for a cap of 1,000 right now)

3) DISCUSS:
a) (from Joanna) Discuss "requiring" (well, officially encouraging if at all possible, I guess)/formalizing an "assistant" position for each coordinator. Rangers do this already, and sometimes it happens when someone is planning to step down, but it would be helpful to always have an assistant on deck even when the main coordinator is not planning on stepping down. The assistant should know the ins and outs of the coordinator position, and the coordinator should be able to delegate specific tasks to them. If a coordinator needs to show up late/leave early/unexpectedly can't attend at the last minute, the assistant should be able to fill in.

b) (from Joanna) Remind coordinators to work on their inventories, to turn in (to their board liaison) some time before budget process begins.

c) (from Jill) I'd like to ask the Vets if they'd be willing to let us do another site improvement weekend, this time on Fri. May 8, Sat. May 9 and Sun. May 10. I'd also like to ask them if we can get trees delivered to their place, and we'll get them chopped up for our own wood supply. We also have to find out if they'd mind if we stored wood there. This wood won't be seasoned in time for use this burn, but may be ok for fall. I'd like to set aside a huge pile for their use, as well.

d) (from Jill)We need to tackle the issue of the bees that have taken up residence near the Vets' dumpster, unless the Vets have already done that. Can the Vet liaison make them aware that this a concern for us? If the Vets are unwilling or unable to get rid of them, we can smoke them out during our site improvement weekend.

e) (from Jill)We need to figure out a system to light up the back parking lot and back path. It's a huge job and would probably best be done before the spring burn.

Some discussion on this has already taken place. Joanna responded by saying “We could try to finally implement our idea of parking cars in the back lot during daylight hours, reserving the front lot for use at night. Didn't end up trying it in the Fall because we foolishly forgot to take the increased cap into account and thought we might not need to use the back lot. If someone wants to pick up Warpcore's light project, they are welcome to. Otherwise, we could budget for more of the little solar lights, which at least mark the outline of the path even if they don't illuminate it a lot. The only thing is I wanted to make sure that the Vets didn't already do it, or weren't planning on doing it, since they've had some of their own out there part of the way in the past.”

Bink says “Lights - I have the batteries and am keeping them charged. The lights are in the shed. I believe there are a dozen, but I'm sure more could be used. Using the back lot during the day I think is the simplest and best solution though. Some lights should still be put out to mark the path for people who need to run back out to their car, but once they are inside they can dig up their flashlight/headlamp and shouldn't need a lot of light, just enough to guide them back and forth.”

f) (from previous and from Jill) Extending the event. No proposal was discussed at last meeting, so I'd like to suggest that we do it this time around. What are the obstacles to extending the event to the Tuesday AFTER the Memorial and Columbus Day holidays? On the pro side-- all infrastructure would already be in place. On the con side -- DPW would have to be on hand for clean up, we would need to spend extra money on insurance, porta potties and dumpster rentals. Any more cons? Pros? Would the effort be worthwhile?

g) (from Jill) The BOD should be required to build me a new Body Shot Bar. Just because. Hey-- It was Dave's idea.

h) Decide date of next meeting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:30 am
Posts: 476
Location: Baltimore, MD
Oh! We also need to discuss how we're going to work the ticket process, and set sale dates, no?

_________________
Board Member Emeritus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:48 pm
Posts: 75
Location: Washington, DC Metro area
(712) 775-7000 at Access Code: 794580#


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:48 pm
Posts: 75
Location: Washington, DC Metro area
Jan. 19, 2009

Attendance: (phone) Joanna, Maat, Ben, Heidi, Andy) Ben, Bink, Lauren, Matt, baby Ginevra, Jamie
1.Approve minutes of last meeting. Voted aye
a) Move the optional emergency meeting to two weeks before the burn
Aye
b) Automatically approve budget increases within 10% due to changing
costs or last minute needs.
Aye
c) Raise gate ticket price (but not all tickets) to $40
Aye
d) Increase number of hardship tickets available to 5% of the cap (would
be 50 hardship tickets for a cap of 1,000 right now)
Aye
ticket sales discussion:
have a computer - use a barcode scanner
bring your email with a barcode in it.
or if they can get to their email they can state the numeric code and that would work.
If you're not on line you'll do the same thing as you do now, some one else buys your ticket and gives you the code.

If this doesn't get done in time, we need to have a backup plan. Ben suggested that keeping physical tickets (mailed out) would be the only viable plan. The cost would be 3-400, for the scanner and computer.

The question was raised about no longer mailing out the survival guide, Bink suggested making the choice to receive one a default "no" instead of "yes" about getting it.

Ben likes the idea of giving people something when they come in, like a souvenir ticket or a sticker. Jamie raised the issue of having people agree to the liability as one insurance company would not insure us wihtout a liability waiver signed.

Joanna suggested that people print out the waiver and sign it and bring it and turn it in at the gate. Also have extra forms at the gate. Matt said aren't we trying to make this easier?
Jamie - The ins companies want to see that the insured party is notifying people of the risks; we just have to prove that we have a system. Ben - have a click thru, print it out on the ticket, and put it on the WWW and the survival guide. Lauren - if we have a computerized system then we can prove it and it will be easier to do so. Require Fred, for instance, who gets some one to buy their ticket, to bring the printout to the gate.
Maat noted other festivals that required a signature in a book and a sign up of a vol. shift.
Matt - we've tried that and noticed it didn't work. Asked if gate and ticketing could come up with a solid proposal for voting on.
Joanna - changing gate procedures - do we need to get approval? Bink - no. Just if there is disagreement about adding the liability.
a) (from Joanna) Discuss "requiring" (well, officially encouraging if at all possible, I guess)/formalizing an "assistant" position for each coordinator. Rangers do this already, and sometimes it happens when someone is planning to step down, but it would be helpful to always have an assistant on deck even when the main coordinator is not planning on stepping down. The assistant should know the ins and outs of the coordinator position, and the coordinator should be able to delegate specific tasks to them. If a coordinator needs to show up late/leave early/unexpectedly can't attend at the last minute, the assistant should be able to fill in.

assistant for coordinators: rangers do it. Can we require it? Bink said we don't need to do this, everyone does it except fire team. Jamie felt that people are intimidated by some big jobs but if they could have an assistant position with specific tasks, they would be more likely to step up. Joanna felt it would be really helpful - can we vote on this? Decided to talk about it at the nxt board meeting, liasons could help recruit and encourage the assist posistion.

b) (from Joanna) Remind coordinators to work on their inventories, to turn in (to their board liaison) some time before budget process begins.

c) (from Jill) I'd like to ask the Vets if they'd be willing to let us do another site improvement weekend, this time on Fri. May 8, Sat. May 9 and Sun. May 10. I'd also like to ask them if we can get trees delivered to their place, and we'll get them chopped up for our own wood supply. We also have to find out if they'd mind if we stored wood there. This wood won't be seasoned in time for use this burn, but may be ok for fall. I'd like to set aside a huge pile for their use, as well.Jill's site improvement idea about storing wood onsite, and chop it up one weekend in early May. May 8-10. Bink - that's fine, but it takes a long time to split a cord of wood, a lot of work and energy. Vets would have to agree to receive the wood and store it in the form of big trees.
d) (from Jill)We need to tackle the issue of the bees that have taken up residence near the Vets' dumpster, unless the Vets have already done that. Can the Vet liaison make them aware that this a concern for us? If the Vets are unwilling or unable to get rid of them, we can smoke them out during our site improvement weekend.
Jill - bees near vet dumpster; can they get rid of them or we will have to. Bink knows the vets sprayed for bees and hornets before. When they are aware of it, they take care of it.

e) (from Jill)We need to figure out a system to light up the back parking lot and back path. It's a huge job and would probably best be done before the spring burn.Some discussion on this has already taken place. Joanna responded by saying “We could try to finally implement our idea of parking cars in the back lot during daylight hours, reserving the front lot for use at night. Didn't end up trying it in the Fall because we foolishly forgot to take the increased cap into account and thought we might not need to use the back lot. If someone wants to pick up Warpcore's light project, they are welcome to. Otherwise, we could budget for more of the little solar lights, which at least mark the outline of the path even if they don't illuminate it a lot. The only thing is I wanted to make sure that the Vets didn't already do it, or weren't planning on doing it, since they've had some of their own out there part of the way in the past.”

Bink says “Lights - I have the batteries and am keeping them charged. The lights are in the shed. I believe there are a dozen, but I'm sure more could be used. Using the back lot during the day I think is the simplest and best solution though. Some lights should still be put out to mark the path for people who need to run back out to their car, but once they are inside they can dig up their flashlight/headlamp and shouldn't need a lot of light, just enough to guide them back and forth.”

Lights for back parking lot. the 12 warpcore made are good to light up a short path. Joanna suggested implementing the idea of having people parking in the back lot during the day and use the front lot for night parking. otherwise, budget for more solar lights to mark the outline of the path.

f) (from previous and from Jill) Extending the event. No proposal was discussed at last meeting, so I'd like to suggest that we do it this time around. What are the obstacles to extending the event to the Tuesday AFTER the Memorial and Columbus Day holidays? On the pro side-- all infrastructure would already be in place. On the con side -- DPW would have to be on hand for clean up, we would need to spend extra money on insurance, porta potties and dumpster rentals. Any more cons? Pros? Would the effort be worthwhile?

Extending the event: Jill's suggested to Tuesday. matt, lauren, bink - don't think we have the key medical/fire and coordinator base to do that. In Fall, lots of people leave on Sunday. Jamie suggested extending by a few hours, maybe 3 or 4 up front and on the back of the event might be enough to make a differnece. that might be something the coordinators and key people could manage. Heidi - she is against the gates opening earlier, she is never done before 5 pm. People come in and don't know where to go, and it's very time consuming. They come up and try to pick spots that Heid is trying to reserve. If we have more people to tape off areas before the gate opens, then it's possible. Bink volunteered to help her, he can get there before 10 am. The back field needs to be laid out. Heidi said she could recruit for help too. Joanna says it makes her kind of cranky to ask more of the people who already do so much. jamie felt that if the site setup people aren't interested in it, then we should not have a vote cause that's not really fair.

lauren noted that more people are showing up and helping who are not coordinators reliably early to help. smelly melly is now volunteer coordinator - she will work with her to help organize the early arrivals. Joanna said if we have an assistant to help us, I'd be much more ok with it. Couch is already thinking of stepping down and wants me to - so we will need some one(s) elses.
Calendar for 2009:

march 21 tier 1 (sat)
april 20 tier 2 (tues)
may 21 event begins

march 7/8 lauren's house
april 4/5
may 9/10 last minute
june 20/21 post
july 18/19 budget
aug 15/16 budget voting
sep 19/20 last minute stuff
nov 7/8 or 14/15


Last edited by Lady on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:01 am
Posts: 538
Some notes on the planning meeting--

*Fireteam coordinator does have an assistant -- me!I like it when Mungo orders me around, almost as much as when Lorne ordered me around.

*We seem to have plenty of people showing up early to help out. If Heidi needs extra hands laying out the theme camps, there should be plenty. I don't know about everybody else, but it worries me that Heidi is the only one who can do this. What if the van breaks down on the way there? What if she can't come out at all? Will we have dozens of theme camps creating chaos? Well, more chaos than usual?

*What happened to my request for a new Body Shot Bar from the BOD???? These things are important.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:30 am
Posts: 476
Location: Baltimore, MD
jillnado wrote:
*What happened to my request for a new Body Shot Bar from the BOD???? These things are important.


If Couch and I get tools for our garage before Spring, maybe we'll build one, and we can utilize it as part of the board meet-n-greet.

_________________
Board Member Emeritus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:57 am
Posts: 26
Lady wrote:
Jan. 19, 2009
Extending the event:
Heidi - she is against the gates opening earlier, she is never done before 5 pm. People come in and don't know where to go, and it's very time consuming. They come up and try to pick spots that Heid is trying to reserve. If we have more people to tape off areas before the gate opens, then it's possible. Bink volunteered to help her, he can get there before 10 am. The back field needs to be laid out. Heidi said she could recruit for help too.


Just to clarify... I offered to help Heidi and have contacted her directly about this.
(I dunno if Bink offered too, or if that's a case of mistaken identity, since I kinda just called out my willingness to volunteer)
Either way, we're gonna give Heidi the help she needs.

--Maat


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:17 am
Posts: 73
Location: Central NY
jillnado wrote:
Some notes on the planning meeting--

*Fireteam coordinator does have an assistant -- me!I like it when Mungo orders me around, almost as much as when Lorne ordered me around.


Yeah, like I ever had to do that. If anything it was the other way around... 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:13 am
Posts: 1
Oh it is so effective. You planned everything so perfectly. I am also planning to throw a corporate party. Can you provide me with your online assistant as the best event planner nyc?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group