Planning and Organization Needs You!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:12 pm 

Info below for the next PC meeting!

Date: Saturday, August 9
Time: 11am
Call-in information: 1-712-432-3100, code is 593879

At this meeting, we will continue planning for the Fall 2014 Burn. We will begin by voting on budgets and other proposals from the July meeting. Following the voting, we will discuss other minor new business and the remaining departmental budgets.

Everyone is welcome (and encouraged!) to join. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

All agenda items are due on Friday, August 8 at NOON!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:38 pm 

Agenda item:

I'd like to get four tickets for our new wood guy Dan, but I don't want to have to shell out the money to do so. Is there any way we could include him in the same ticket class as the Vets? It'd be a really good idea to have this man get to know us and love us.

I'm not sure what to do here. Help!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:43 pm 

Request for Additional Reserves
Currently the WWW Guide gets one reserve. The Guide is produced by a team that can handle deadlines, a unique skill set in the burn world. Some may spend 20+ hours on their task.

-editor-1
the acting editor wants to transition out. a reserve would be helpful in recruiting a deadline pro willing to read 40+ pages over and over again and understands a 'data dump.' the few prospective editors have all inquired about a reserve. Currently-Ranger Fumbles

- print delivery person-1
this individual picks up bulky materials from the printer and delivers it all - laminates, ranger manuals and www guides to the site before gates open. Timely delivery is vital and has not been an issue. Currently-Karnak

-print buyer-1
this individual has expert knowledge of print production and coordinates printing and delivery of laminates, ranger manuals, and the www guides. They create a production schedule, communicate, and support print specs, keep an eye on costs and much more. Currently- Claire L.

-artist-1
we're an arts event, ideally the guide should have artwork from our community. the artist has to submit art before a deadline and in a specific format. a reserve ticket would be an acknowledgement of their effort and hopefully incentivize more hand drawn ponies and art thru out the guide. Artist past 2 issues - Deena S.

Side note: any deadline pros interested in editing the guide, (deadline experience a must) drop me a line missfidget(at)gmail

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:26 pm 

FYI, any changes to the existing ticket policy will not go into effect until the Spring Burn.

And now my personal opinion...

jillnado wrote:
I'd like to get four tickets for our new wood guy Dan, but I don't want to have to shell out the money to do so. Is there any way we could include him in the same ticket class as the Vets? It'd be a really good idea to have this man get to know us and love us.

Our wood guy is a vendor. We shouldn't be making special rules for vendors. A vendor supplies a product that we purchase. Yes, things like wood are vital to the event, but part of the purchase agreement is for the wood to be delivered to the event. And he doesn't need a ticket to do that... If he (or any future vendors) want to experience the event, they have the same opportunity as any other community member to purchase tickets thru the regular rounds.

missfidget wrote:
Request for Additional Reserves
-editor-1
the acting editor wants to transition out. a reserve would be helpful in recruiting a deadline pro willing to read 40+ pages over and over again and understands a 'data dump.' the few prospective editors have all inquired about a reserve. Currently-Ranger Fumbles

- print delivery person-1
this individual picks up bulky materials from the printer and delivers it all - laminates, ranger manuals and www guides to the site before gates open. Timely delivery is vital and has not been an issue. Currently-Karnak

-print buyer-1
this individual has expert knowledge of print production and coordinates printing and delivery of laminates, ranger manuals, and the www guides. They create a production schedule, communicate, and support print specs, keep an eye on costs and much more. Currently- Claire L.

-artist-1
we're an arts event, ideally the guide should have artwork from our community. the artist has to submit art before a deadline and in a specific format. a reserve ticket would be an acknowledgement of their effort and hopefully incentivize more hand drawn ponies and art thru out the guide. Artist past 2 issues - Deena S.

The editor position already receives a reserve ticket, which is new as of the last Burn. (Fidget, I was under the impression that you were the editor?) I'm not comfortable adding additional reserves for picking up the printing and coordinating the printing. Why isn't the editor/coordinator also handling the printing? Also, if picking up the printing hasn't been an issue, why does this position require a reserve? (Considering the printer is near DC and how many coordinators and regular essential volunteers live in the area, I'm not sure why providing a ticket is necessary for someone to ONLY deliver materials.) I would, however, potentially support an artist to receive a reserve ticket for designing the guide, tho I would potentially also want to rope in designing the buttons as well. But the call for artists would need to be open to the community (similar to the arts grants) and not rely on a single person to do the design each Burn.

Maybe the current WWW position needs to be revamped to include a team of co-coordinators to handle communications issues (WWW, BPE, etc.). The Comm. team would also work closely with the web team and PC coordinator.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:41 am 

I believe my budget was to be carried over to this meeting.

My budget is a tricky one this year and might take a bit of discussion.

I purchased a vehicle that is able to pull a small trailer but does not have a hitch installed. We have an opportunity to cut the stage transportation in half this burn, and in half again by next burn. so instead of spending the 6-800$ that is being spent per burn this year, depending on the size of truck needed, we can spend $300 and even less in subsequent burns.

So we have 2 budget options:

Stage truck from Enterprise: ~600 (Its hard to pinpoint this number exactly as fees seem to change from burn to burn, but this burn we would not be getting the box truck, which forces PDForg to purchase secondary insurance which incurs about an additional $200)

Hitch and Trailer

Hitch for vehicle: $120 (Free Installation)
5x8 trailer rental $18.95+tax/day x 6 days $122

Total budget: $242

Camp Fogie
www.deephouselounge.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:57 pm 

Agenda item:

Super easy one: 'Quiet Camping' rules are in effect from 10PM until 9AM. Other sound policy stuff is in effect from 10PM until 10AM. I would like to either - change Quiet Camping until 10AM, or the rest of the sound turn down to 9AM, just to simplicities sake.

Quiet Camping Signage: Should we have a sign that demarcates the Quiet Camping area in the Back Field?

Budget items: 2 radios were purchased for Sound in March of 2010, and then reallocated elsewhere in February of 2013. Ideally I would like 3, but I don't see all 3 being used this fall, so I've put 2 in the budget. My main concerns with the radios are that Sound Patrol often ends up in loud places (obviously), which makes the radios impossible to hear without an earpiece, but they often pick up loads of interference as well, which causes deafening noise through the earpiece. I'll confer with Lizard before any purchases are made, if approved. If radio sharing works, great (but I won't carry a Dakota around, or I'll keep hitting the Call Button that makes Lizard so unhappy, no job is worth having that happen!!)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:37 pm 

Hey folks, we just got an update on pricing from our wood vendor. Because we haven't signed the contract with him, this means our costs have changed too.
Instead of $166per, we're now up to $192.30 per (with delivery included now, so hooray for that). If we need a second delivery, then we'll be dinged for that too, but we're hoping to just have the one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:39 pm 

During the past couple of PDF's the weather conditions have not been favorable, for driving

on site for participants and unloading gear. I am bringing this up, due to the GOD's on duty at

this last PDF says it was a problem for them up at the Gates. Participants who are in a

Theme Camp and bring infrastructure were allowed to drive on site to drop of equipment for

his or her Theme Camp. Unfortunately, some participants who are a part of a Theme Camp,

took advantage of Theme Camp only unloading infrastructure. The Theme Camp

participants, once found out, only Theme Camp infrastructure is allowed to drive onsite,

then anyone who was with a Theme Camp, was carrying infrastructure for his or her Theme

Camp. Basically, once Theme Camp participants found out, you can only drive onsite for

unloading Theme Camp infrastructure, lots of participants were with a Theme Camp and

bringing infrastructure. Unfortunately, participants who are not with a Theme Camp, see

this going on and feel excluded and its not fair.

Is there a way for the event to have Theme Camps preregister for onsite unloading

infrastructure passes, to prevent this problem in the future. Furthermore, having the Theme

Camps preregister for unloading passes, frees up the general unloading passes for

participants not in a Theme Camp.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:48 pm 

The agenda is available for download here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/685 ... Agenda.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:12 am 

Martie

I have a 4 wheel drive truck I'd like to use for Mash (stretcher transport), Gate (foul weather gear transport), LampLighters (equipment transport seeing that none of the carts are allowed to ), and DPW (heavy lifting)

this should make things easier

ALSO - there is a Playa Del Fuego Reddit community and I am an admin of it

(just want people to know)

karnak

quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:25 am 

In response to the ticket reserve requests, I'm not sure whether I support the idea of putting a reserve ticket aside in order to recruit an artist for what is essentially a disposable book of information, not art. It's a neat idea to have the WWW get a little more jazzed up, but I don't think it's at all essential to the smooth running of the event and therefore should be done by volunteerism (i.e., if people want to do it).

Editor reserve ticket? Absolutely because the WWW is very central to getting information out and to the whole event. But I don't think we should be soliciting people to fancy it up with the promise of a cover art/interior art reserve ticket. If we want to encourage people doing that we should simply put out a call for WWW (cover?) art submissions and those who are interested will respond.

Keep in mind, too, that less (bulk) is more when it comes to an information guide. A cool cover is neat but I don't really want to add to the page count of what we're printing and what I carry around and flip through. If it's a little neater looking while I'm going through it then cool but I (personally) don't really care if it's artsy or not; I'm trying to get information out of it, not aesthetic pleasure.

I don't mean any of this to be poo-pooing artists or WWW designers. I just don't think it can really be counted as a task that's integral to having the event run smoothly.

My 2 cents. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:50 am 

Was traveling this weekend, missed call, my request is moot. But there’s some confusion about the WWW. Confusion stinks, info below.

Quote:
FYI, any changes to the existing ticket policy will not go into effect until the Spring Burn.

Sounds familiar. Seem to recall I was told before Spring burn to submit requests for additional reserves before Fall burn to the PC via the PONY.

Quote:
The editor position already receives a reserve ticket, which is new as of the last Burn. (Fidget, I was under the impression that you were the editor?)

YES, the WWW was given one reserve. NO, I am not the editor - never have been. WWW staff is always listed in the guide. It'd be lovely if WWW got a minimum of two reserves one for editor, one for designer.

Quote:
Why isn't the editor/coordinator also handling the printing?

Editing and print coordination are different skills. The Print Coordinator is a role that serves the event as a whole. The editor only works on the WWW.

Editor - is a word person - able to request, decipher and clean a ‘data dump’ of user submitted content for grammar, spelling, and more. They proof the layout and work w/ the designer in a specific way to ensure details details are all correct/consistent. They need knowledge of our community’s ‘editorial tone.’ An experienced editor makes the designers’ job WAY easier and the guide better.

Print Coordinator - is a planner/communicator - they must have expert knowledge of print production and communicate specs from the printer to the many people doing the work in a variety of software apps and platforms. They create “production schedules,” communicate deadlines, and sometimes nag people to have materials submitted correctly, on-time. They understand print costs and make suggestions to contain costs. Currently this person handles the Ranger Manual, lanyards and WWW production. IMHO I think lanyards take the bulk of their time and the WWW the least.

Quote:
Also, if picking up the printing hasn't been an issue, why does this position require a reserve?

Agree, others can do this, but SOMEONE needs to. I wanted to increase awareness of the delivery person’s role in event production. Like the print coordinator they are also handling lanyards and ranger manuals and their role benefits the event as a whole.

Quote:
I would, however, potentially support an artist to receive a reserve ticket for designing the guide
The “artist” does not design the guide. They provide illustrations for the cover and interior. The designer (me) designs/layouts/typesets/formats the guide. The skills can overlap but I’ve never used my own illustrations, that’d be tacky. Unless an artist sends me art, I buy RF stock illustrations w/ my own cash .

Quote:
But the call for artists would need to be open to the community (similar to the arts grants) and not rely on a single person to do the design each Burn.

“Hey, do you draw ponies” is already on/in every guide. Only two artists have submitted art in the WWW’s history. (shrug) Deadlines aren’t popular w/ artists. If the community feels more community art is important a reserve could be incentive.

Quote:
rope in designing the buttons as well… Maybe the current WWW position needs to be revamped to include a team of co-coordinators to handle communications issues (WWW, BPE, etc.). The Comm. team would also work closely with the web team and PC coordinator.

Please don’t increase the scope of my request. Buttons are Vol Lead’s baby! BPE has always been handled by the Board as a whole, not just the BOD Communications person.

But, I've worn a lot of hats and that can be confusing. I’ve always designed the WWW. When I was on the Board I was the Comm. person and worked on the BPE etc. AND I designed the WWW guide. I am no longer on the Board. I still want to design the WWW. (did that make sense?)

The WWW needs an editor. All potential ones asked if they get a reserve. The Print Production Coordinator hasn’t been able to get a ticket/attend the event in many moons. Her work benefits all departments, not just the WWW.

While clarifying stuff, the WWW contains excerpts from the Grand Unified Document, the compiled policies, rules, what-not for the event. The Grand Unified Document can be changed via the PC and historically a Board member was a liaison to the "GUD." The WWW does NOT write policy rules or what-not.

If there's other questions anyone has about the WWW I'd be glad to answer them and if this is the wrong one it can move to another thread.