P . O . N . Y .

Planning and Organization Needs You!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:41 am 

Proposal:

Artists with major installations (large art, Effigy, Temple) are permitted to enter the event at 5pm on Wednesday in order to set up their individual camp and begin installation of their pieces. Should the space for said art be unclear, artists can begin installing their art at noon Thursday.

PortalBurn BOD
Burning Man Regional Contact - Upstate NY 1/3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:32 am 

Don't we do this, or something like this, already?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:40 am 

dinah wrote:
Don't we do this, or something like this, already?

I think artists are presently allowed early entry at 2pm Thursday, this proposal moves that time ahead to noon Wednesday.

I think that it neglects the necessity of sequencing to getting jobs done: The Theme Camp and Art Coordinators need time to set up and demarcate space for the entire event prior to any theme camp or artists setting up their respective items.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:04 pm 

*nods* I think that at minimum the Pony Builder should be allowed in Wednesday at 5. They know where to build, and they can also help with the burn pad setup if that needs to be done first. All other artists/camps could be allowed in at 2?

PortalBurn BOD
Burning Man Regional Contact - Upstate NY 1/3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:23 pm 

Are artist officially allowed early entry at 2PM Thursday? Because I had art/art grants last burn and did not know this. If this is true, great - lets communicate it better to all art grant recipients. at least state it in the award email.

If not, I'd proposes to amend the above to include: any art grant recipient is allowed early entry at 2pm Thursday with one helper.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:04 pm 

GuppyMinder wrote:
Are artist officially allowed early entry at 2PM Thursday? Because I had art/art grants last burn and did not know this. If this is true, great - lets communicate it better to all art grant recipients. at least state it in the award email.

If not, I'd proposes to amend the above to include: any art grant recipient is allowed early entry at 2pm Thursday with one helper.

Artists with large and/or elaborate art pieces may be allowed early entry at 2PM on Thursday (with a single helper) solely for the purpose of setting up art (not land rushing, not setting up personal camp, not dropping off the theme camp stuff that somehow ended up in the truck, not wandering around being social) if they request it from the art grant committee and the art grant committee agrees that the art is going to need extra time to set up. Adding details to the award email would probably be nifty, along with the warning that artists found anywhere other than near their art piece prior to gate time will be kicked out until the gates open.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:21 pm 

Starfish wrote:
Proposal:

Artists with major installations (large art, Effigy, Temple) are permitted to enter the event at 5pm on Wednesday in order to set up their individual camp and begin installation of their pieces. Should the space for said art be unclear, artists can begin installing their art at noon Thursday.

As (one of) the on-site art coordinators, I oppose this. We already have had problems with artists being overly optimistic on how quickly they can assemble their large art, and have found that making sure that artists know they have time constraints helps limit the scope of the projects they undertake (which improves the odds of the art actually getting assembled in a timely manner).

(I'm not saying all artists have time problems, most don't. I'm just remembering a particular few.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:23 pm 

Please Read the PONY for Early Entry Policy already in effect.

Jill submitted a proposal for Spring PDF 2012 for Artist Early Entry.

Here are the links for the proposal for early entry for Artist and PONY builder and Wednesday Early entry for Fall 2012.

Jill's Proposal for Artist Early Entry Spring 2012

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1935

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1998

Hatter's Proposal For Early Entry for Wed DPW and Set up Fall 2012

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2105

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2120

To my knowledge, the proposals passed and have been in effect for 7 burns now.

Also the Early Entry list google spreadsheet link is sent to coordinators via coordinators mailing list for Department Coordinators to fill out for their department. A link for Early Entry is sent to the BOD as well.

Will we be modifying the current policy?
I hope this information clears up any confusion on Early Entry as it currently stands :D