P . O . N . Y .

Planning and Organization Needs You!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:05 am 

Proposal:

Playa del Fuego currently does not have a widely available policy for handling issues related to Sexual Assault. These procedures should be shared with: MASH, Sanctuary, Rangers, all Coordinators, and the BOD. It should also be published in the GUD so individuals have at minimum an understanding of what their options are in case they are assaulted.

If this already exists, the current procedure should be reviewed and shared. If it does not, procedures should be developed and widely distributed.

PortalBurn BOD
Burning Man Regional Contact - Upstate NY 1/3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:30 am 

Is this a proposal, or more of a suggestion to Rangers/MASH/Sanctuary?
I think it's a great idea, but not convinced that it's something the PC needs to vote on.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:43 pm 

Agreed. This one sounds more like a BOD suggestion to departments or something that the BOD would be including as part of safety planning. I think it's a great idea to have something like this developed and distributed, but I'm not sure what would be voted on or gone through the PC (other than possibly calling out to potential volunteers for drafting it, etc.).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:59 pm 

All of my proposals are for the PC calls. Sorry, I didn't make that clear. I'm asking we consider them as a PC member, not a BOD member.

PortalBurn BOD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:26 pm 

if we're voting on this, i vote yes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:31 pm 

Okay, but then the question still stands... Is this even a PC issue or a BOD issue? It sounds more like a BOD and coord issue to me than a PC issue. (In fact I might be a little scared of a set of procedures for how to properly handle sexual assault that came out of a well-intentioned but not necessarily well-educated PC. :P )

I'd probably kick this one back to the BOD if we want standardized procedures for this kind of crime, and then discuss and disseminate that with the relevant coords for implementation, and then make it public on our website/GUD/etc. for transparency and to inform our community.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:12 pm 

Owsla wrote:

I'd probably kick this one back to the BOD if we want standardized procedures for this kind of crime, and then discuss and disseminate that with the relevant coords for implementation, and then make it public on our website/GUD/etc. for transparency and to inform our community.

I'm not sure, as it is "event related," and I believe there is already *something* in place with Rangers perhaps discussing what they do. The issue I have is that this isn't made available to anyone, and it needs to be. I'm ok with kicking it sideways (to the BOD) and work closely with Rangers/Mash/Sanctuary and potentially an outside person or borrowing from other Burns to have something clear and in writing. There would need to be cross training as well, as far as the three groups listed above and likely the BOD too. We just need to be on the same page, whatever page that is. I haven't seen a page on this and feel I need to (as a BOD member but also as a concerned participant).

PortalBurn BOD