P . O . N . Y .

Planning and Organization Needs You!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:05 pm 

Because the name "Fire Team" is currently getting used for two related things (specifically, setting up/tearing down burn pads and fire safety), but one of those things is effectively on indefinite hiatus (pending PDF needing to use elevated burn pads again, hopefully never), I propose that the "setting up/tearing down elevated burn pads" usage be officially retired and the name going forward refer solely to the fire safety usage.

This does not make any change to PDF (it does not add or remove any exercised responsibilities from any department or coordinator), it just adds a note to the official PDF meeting minutes that the burn pad team usage is officially retired (so that there's a record if ever there's a question). In the (unlikely) case PDF ever need elevated burn pads again, they'll probably get set up by the same group of early-entry volunteers who'd be doing it anyway but calling it a DPW effort (because it's infrastructure setup, which is a DPW responsibility).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:36 pm 

I support this.

As far as I'm aware there aren't any current official (i.e., on paper) uses of "Fire Team" that refer to the old usage. Because of that I'd think that this is something that doesn't necessarily need a vote by the PC, as we wouldn't be changing anything on paper and it's really more of a request/reminder for people and how they're talking. However for sure it would be a good thing to at least announce here on the PONY and also at the next PC meeting so that there's a record of the retiring of the old usage.

Do you agree with that, or are there reasons you might think this would be a voting issue?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:08 pm 

I think this is basically an announcement for our official records. I suspect it'll go though as a unanimous consent item (I certainly am not going to call for a roll vote).

Though, being pedantic: it probably needs to go though the new-business/old-business cycle, because tossing out "hey, we're making permanent changes without a public comment period, and it's not even for an emergency" is a bad precedent to set, even when it's just doing some long-overdue housekeeping that is being requested by the only person affected.