Planning and Organization Needs You!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:03 pm 

Our next PC meeting is approaching!

Date: Saturday, November 14
Time: 12 noon

Call-in information: 1-712-432-3100, code is 833217
(PLEASE NOTE THIS YEAR'S NEW CONFERENCE CODE!)

We will mostly be focusing on reviewing After Burn reports from this fall's burn.

Meetings are open to anyone in our community, all you have to do is call in to participate! We follow the agendas pretty closely, so be sure to submit any items for discussion below to get them on the agenda.

All agenda items (e.g., After Burn reports!) are due on THURSDAY November 12 by 5PM.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:12 pm 

I'm hoping to get the ball rolling on this early because it involves three different departments - DPW, Rangers and Participation Station - and may require some discussion. Then again, maybe not. I mentioned it briefly to some of the coords involved during the burn, and wanted to bring it up formally here, so here tis:

I propose we replace the current shade structure being used to house Participation Station and Rangers HQ with two 10' x 20' pop ups.

The old one has been around for ages, I think it's survived at least 14-15 burns, but the poles are always getting bent, pieces get broken or go missing and have to be replaced by ordering online, and worst of all - it takes 5-6 people anywhere from 2 to 3 hours to set up, and it's a real drain on resources.

I've been doing research and found we most likely would want to get structures with a steel frame and straight legs. Commercial quality units go for anywhere between $200 and $650 each, and for a bit extra, you can get sidewalls for more protection from the elements. And they're so much faster to put up and store away!

In addition, because they would be two separate units, Ranger HQ and Part Station could be divided into different spots, if the coordinators want. Or if so desired, there are clips that can be bought that can connect the two together to make one large unit.

Jill Out

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:53 pm 

Will propose we try to get more 10x20s identical to the one MASH uses (you know, so when normal wear-and-tear happens, we have spare parts for survivors). Pop-ups go up quick, but a lot of them seem to end up as single-use items (seriously, look at the dumpsters at the end of any PDF that involves wind or significant rain).

Alternately, I have the info for the company that makes the carports that survived multiple trips to TTITD with The Dusty Swan (and, as an added bonus, uses parts that are compatible from size to size and year to year).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:52 pm 

A good quality pop up can last a long, long time. The last one I had made it to at least 9 PDF's, a few trips to Assateague as well as a few flea markets. It also survived at least 4 parties. All for $64 on sale at Wal Mart. Please don't underestimate them.

The trouble with the carports is the same with what we've got now -- they take a long time to set up, and it's so easy for parts to go missing or get bent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:04 pm 

Agenda for tomorrow's PC meeting can be viewed and downloaded HERE.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:06 pm 

Jill - I didn't include your proposal as a separate item on the agenda because it's still in discussion and some of the coords involved aren't up to speed with your proposal yet, and because I will bring it up anyways tomorrow in response to one of the After Burn reports (and thus hopefully bring said coords up to speed!). So yes it will be discussed on call, no it's not listed as a separate item yet. :)