P . O . N . Y .

Planning and Organization Needs You!
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:42 pm 

This thread is for any lengthy discussion re: coordinator commitment to the Skuylkill County primitive site for the Spring 2018 Burn, or for questions in order to decide on the topic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:01 pm 

Flooding potential and stoutness of roads are safety issues and my main concerns with this site. A secondary concern would be investing heavily in manpower/resources for a rental site. A safe, but primitive site has not deterred me from burning before but I’ve put on my liability err I-love-everybody-and-don’t-want-to-see-anyone-get-hurt-hat to write this.

Flash flooding is a major hazard to campers. During ancient land search 2 PA sites, near Shenandoah and York, were rejected due to flooding potential. Before proceeding, please find a professional civil engineer, geologist, what-not to assess safety of this site. There's a body of water next to a road in one photo. What would be the impact of losing that road to rising water? What feeds that water? Flash flooding may also have contributed to this tragedy http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... _at_m.html

PDF has suffered impassable roads for years. Stout/safe roads should be a priority, esp. if this landlord isn't going to hang around w/ tractor, tow chain. Can the most likely mushy coal dirt roads handle box trucks, trailers, RVs, cars, and 24/7 off road golf carts? Any thoughts about proposed vehicle restrictions? Wacky ideas like off site parking shuttle or on site shuttle, renting golf carts for everybody, or tiny ticket cap?

exBOD Mike G asked on FB how far the site was from the main road - good question as many have left PDF via tow truck after dragging their things thru a half mile sea of mud. How far could parking be from camping areas? Those figures can also give a rough idea of what the worst case carry-in carry-out would be - 1 mile, 5 miles, 7 miles? Failing to correctly communicate that stuff can result in unprepared or differently-abled peeps needing major help or tents being hidden in the the bushes, not carried out. Choosing a site where roads fail is not just an inconvenience it can be a hazard in an emergency.

What would potential potty distro look like? How far could folks expect to be from a potty? If participants in a brushy site are too far from potties sanitation issues can happen, again.

Lastly, heres some concerns that may be unique to this site; flaming and burning art and cook/campfires with no nearby long garden hose, mines, poisonous snakes, that body of water/what feeds it.

Past few PDFs haven’t been easy. This site looks like it would needs tons of work so would many sites that have been considered for purchase. I’ve seen volunteers do amazing things at PDF. I’ve also seen people work themselves ragged then run away from the event taking their skills, knowledge and heart with them. Some PDF volunteers were confused and miffed about Constellation and if they were involved. I’m not going to volun-told anyone. Just because people says OMG YES on social media doesn’t actually mean they will IRL.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:51 pm 

So this primitive site would jsut be a rental for the next burn? Or are you talking purchace?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:09 pm 

Re raods I'd say elevation is key, IF land is lowland and subject to flooding and the roads are at the same level, then you have worries.
EVen if it is lowland, if the roads are elevated and the entrance is through higher ground the roads are not likely to be an issue. Of course better to not have lowland for a site in the first place unless it's well drained - best way would be to visit candidate land after heavy rain. Advantage of lowland I guess is usually lots of flat land for camping and other structures.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:27 pm 

Bokaroony wrote:
So this primitive site would jsut be a rental for the next burn? Or are you talking purchace?

It would just be a rental.