Planning and Organization Needs You!
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Newbie Questions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:12 pm 

Not seeing a ton of newbie questions.

First:
- I read the "GUD"
- I read the WWW from 2014 (only one I could find)
- I'm familiar with the 10 BM principles
- I've signed up here on the forum, at the PDF main site, and at the PDF ticket site
- I've experienced "art camping" of sorts for about 10 yrs

So, with all that, and I have a few questions:
1) This BB doesn't seem to have many active threads. Is there somewhere else online or IRL where the PDF community is more active?
2) I'm interested in participating in the next PDF, but I don't already have a camp connection. Is there a way to "meet" some camp members to find a good fit?
3) The last post in the "Help Wanted" section is from 2015. Where do I find out about volunteering? I want to help!

Thanks in advance!

JayDub

Post subject: Re: Newbie Questions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:45 pm 

Hi JayDub!

Thank you for your interest and questions! I'm going to connect you with our Volunteer Coordinator and a member of our Communications Team. She will be able to answer many of your questions.

Jamilah

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:00 pm 

Hi JayDub and welcome! My name is Smiles. Consensual hug? *hug* if yes

This BB is a bit antiquated, but we still use it (barely). Just below your post are posts with the links to the past several Planning Committee call agenda and notes.

Unfortunately, you've probably read an old version of the GUD. There's excellent general information in there, but as we are moving to a new site, anything site specific you may have read (such as references to "front gate" and "back gate", the Vets, showers, or onsite potable water) is no longer valid. We are working on a new Survival Guide for the Tamaqua site that's not quite finished yet. A link for that will be available on the website as well as going out on the BPE aka the Burning Pony Express our email newsletter. It's the one thing you didn't sign up for! ;) You can do that here:
http://playadelfuego.org/content/burning-pony-express

The PdF community is more active on this facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/playadelfuego/

The facebook group is a good place to put up a request to join a theme camp. It helps to post what you are into, like tending a bar, fire flow arts, or gifting yoga classes. But even if you don't find a theme camp** I absolutely recommend that you still come to the burn and set up in open camping anyway. You'll meet your neighbors and probably get adopted by them for the weekend. When you sign up for some volunteer shifts, you'll meet the best burners there are, and then you can spend the rest of the burn going around to the theme camp you are drawn to the most, hang out, and make new friends. Once they are your friends, you ask to camp with them next time :)

** at small burns, theme camps often evolve out of existing friend groups, not from an ideology or service. In addition, they don't have the need for sheer body numbers like the big camps at Burning Man do, so sometimes it's hard to break into an existing theme camp without having met members first. Camp Contact would be a camp that is coming to PdF that is an exception to that, check out their vibe here: https://campcontact.org/ If this is your jam, don’t hesitate to reach out to them.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN VOLUNTEERING!!! You're a burner after my heart!c

Volunteer sign ups will be available online soon! You'll also be able to sign up onsite at the Participation Station. What are you interested in volunteering for? These are the various departments, and every one of them needs volunteers:

Gate / Ticketing
Parking
Participation Station
Greeters
Rangers
First Aid* (must be currently CPR certified)
MOOP / LNT
Burn Line Perimeter
Lamplighters
DPW (Department of Public Works, set up and break down of infrastructure)
Sound Patrol
Sanctuary

Let me know if you have any questions and Burn Bright!

Diana "Smiles" Svendsen =)
PdF Volunteer Coordinator | PdF Communications Co-Coordinator
Emails: volunteers-lead@playadelfuego.org | bpe-editor@playadelfuego.org

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:21 am 

As a random shmoe, I can echo the bit about camping solo. My first four burns (three PDFs and a Black Rock) were not in a theme camp, and they were very rewarding. Last year and this year I'm camping alone, as well, though it's important to note that you can run WWW events and bring art and whatnot even if you're not using the support structure of a theme camp. So definitely don't hesitate about coming if you think that you might not be able to find bunk mates ahead of time!

Also, if you're curious, here are a smattering of previous What Where Whens, ranging from 2011 through 2017: http://burner.camp/pdf/www/