Playa del Fuego doesn’t just need onsite volunteers. We need help year-round in planning and coordinating this event. If you are interested in serving the PDF community outside the burn, here are some current opportunities to participate.
FirePony Creative Society:
R.I.D.E. FirePony – FirePony is committed to upholding the principle of Radical Inclusion by increasing Diversity and promoting Equity in our leadership and at our events, and rooting out residual racism in our organization. We invite community members (that’s YOU!) to join us in making that happen. Enter you interest using THIS FORM
Playa del Fuego Leadership Opportunities:
YOU CAN APPLY TO SERVE FOR AS A LEADER/COORDINATOR/CO-COORDINATOR FOR PDF BY GOING TO THIS FORM
We especially need people to step up in DPW, Ranger leadership, and on the Art Grant committee. But we welcome interest in other departments. There is a section below on general coordinator and lead responsibilities. Also, you can check out the Department Descriptions page for more detailed departmental descriptions and find what most excites you.
At the event:
There are many ways to support Playa del Fuego. During the burn, there are lots of opportunities to volunteer. We hope each of our participants takes a shift! At PDF, volunteering can earn you a reserved ticket to the next PDF!
PDF Volunteer Reserve Ticket Program (VRTP)
One Reserved Ticket To Next PDF for 6 Hours Of Validated Volunteer Time
How It Works:
⦁ Get A Volunteer Laminate At The Participation Station For Your Shifts
⦁ Get Your Volunteer Hours Validated By Getting Coordinator Sign Off On the Laminate
⦁ Bring Laminate With Minimum 6 Validated Hours To The Participation Station To Get Registered For The Program and earn a reserve ticket (not free, just reserved) to the next PDF!
⦁ This is an OPT IN program! Coordinators and Departments do not track your hours. Participants must bring their validated laminate to the Participation Station before to sign up!
General Coordinator and Department Lead Expectations:
TL;DR Coordinators/Leads are responsible for all aspects of their department: before, during, and after the event.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Familiarity with the department
- Ability to delegate responsibilities to a team of co-coordinators and/or assistant coordinators, as the coordinator sees fit
- Prepare all required documentation for the department including a department Afterburn Report, updating and maintaining a department operations document, and department inventory, as well as any department specific documentation such as safety plan, city map, parking guide, how-to guidelines, etc.
- Agree to sign and adhere to the Social Media Agreement
- Prepare for and participate in event organizational meetings
- Develop volunteer schedule and recruit volunteers to fulfill department responsibilities
- Manage, document, train, and prepare department volunteers as needed, including before and during the event (per department needs)
- Fill vacant volunteer shifts when efforts to fill the shift have failed
- Create and manage Departmental Budget and submitting it on time
- Acquire budget items and assure their transportation to the event
- Maintain budget receipts and submit them to the Finance Liaison/Treasurer in a timely manner for reimbursement
- Save the organization money whenever possible
- Communicate and collaborate with event leadership, the FirePony board, and other department coordinators/leads as needed
- Read and participate in the event email distribution list and organizational communications in a timely manner
- Use online tools and resources such as email, mail-lists, Google Docs and calendars, Zoom, and Slack to communicate and manage tasks for the event
- Be onsite pre-event and post-event to set up and break down your department, as needed per department. Basic infrastructure is provided by the Department of Public Work (DPW)
- Prepare and submit an After-Burn report for your department within the timeframe given
- Coordinators attending the event must provide proof of COVID vaccination as required by all attendees
Note: Community members that have been removed from a prior volunteer position or have been banned from attending any FirePony event at any time are not eligible to participate as a Coordinator or Department Lead